Tutorials

Sunday 19 February 2012

Around the World Quilting Bee

Although I've been quilting for almost 20 years, I've never been involved in a quilting Bee. Yes, I've made countless friendship blocks, and I also received quite a number of blocks myself (they are still languishing somewhere in a cupboard, but let's not go there). I was therefore really excited when a friend asked me to join the "Around the World Quilting Bee". We are 12 quilter from six countries on 4 different continents (hence the name) and we follow the format the book "The Modern Quilting Bee Block Party" suggests.
Susan started off the bee with her blocks and she is going to call the quilt "Stack of Books". It's one of my favorite blocks in the book as well and I love the fabrics she's chosen.

It will make its way to New Zealand tomorrow. If you would like to see more blocks, go here. My turn is in November only, which gives me ample time to contemplate  what blocks I want!

I've made a few bags with the leftovers from the leftovers from the leftovers (you get the picture?) of my silks and  I have finally used up every little scrap, phew!!  The bigger bags are for a special purpose; I will tell you about that a bit later on.



Vreni x

11 comments:

Geckoboxes said...

Nice block! Cool bags! It is nice to be part of this world wide bee and keep track of each other with the special blog. This means we will see Liv in bloggers world too! ;o)

Unknown said...

beautiful block and bags. Can't wait to hear what the future of the silk bags will be like...... I See some familiar names in the list of the bee. Looking forward to see their blocks and yours of course!!
xxx

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Hi Vreni, Beautiful sewing! Sounds like it will be a great bee!

Martina said...

Wow, deine "Resten"taschen sehen aber ganz edel aus! Und dein Block gefaelt mir gut. Ist bestimmt interesant so in einem Bee dabei zu sein.
Herzliche Gruesse
Martina

Vickie said...

How fun! I love bees! It is the way I have explored different techniques and blocks that I never would have done otherwise. Your first block is fun! Hope you have a great time! Oh...and I love your silk bags. They look wonderful. Heading over to check out your bee....

Heather said...

Those silk bags are just beautiful.

blauraute said...

Liebe Vreni,
Dein erster Block ist sehr schön geworden. Es macht sehr viel Spaß teilzunehmen. Ich habe letztes Jahr an der Block-Zeit teilgenommen, und die anderen haben mir schwarz-weiße Blöcke genäht, die hoffentlich bald zum Wandquilt zusammengefügt werden.
Deine Seidenrestetaschen gefallen mit sehr gut, sie sehen sehr edel aus.
Dir noch einen schönen Restsonntag und liebe Grüße
Roswitha

Nicole said...

I'm always amazed at how technology helps us connect to others around the world. Enjoy the bee. It looks like it's off to a great start.

Oops-Lah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thimbleanna said...

Very pretty block Nicolette! And those bags are very pretty -- even surrounded by the mystery of their purpose LOL!

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Gorgeous block. I too have never done a bee Vreni, so I will be watching how yours goes with interest. Love your bags, very beautiful xo