Tutorials

Friday 13 April 2012

Home again and in need of a holiday!

Our home leave has not quite turned out as planned. We noticed that my mum, who is 83 years old, has become quite forgetful during the last few month since we last saw her. The house wasn't quite as "organised" anymore and she hardly cooked, which was unheard of just a little while ago. Then she became sick and from there it went downhill pretty fast. A visit to her GP revealed that she had an infection, but also that she is suffering from dementia, something we had suspected for a while. Not an easy thing to hear about your mum, especially since we live on the other side of the world and I have no siblings who could take care of her.  I was cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing like nobody's business. We organised home help and home care as well as a meal service and we hope that she can stay in her own home as long as possible. Luckily she has wonderful neighbours as well as family who are keeping an eye on her. It has become clear that we have to go back more often from now on, no matter how much I hate those long haul flights with the ensuing jet lag.

Anyway, with with all that was going on, I hardly had time to sew and I only managed these few "pies" which are for a quilt I'm working on. I hope to show you more soon.
I've missed my sewing room and as soon as I got over my jet lag and after our latest visitors left (they arrived the day after we came back) I just had to do a bit of sewing. Here's the March block from Blogger's BOM.

I haven't been very active in Blogland lately and I apologise for not visiting you all regularly. Of course now that I'm back that will change and I'm looking forward to seeing what you have been up to in my absence.

Happy Weekend everyone.
Vreni x

20 comments:

LintLady said...

Hallo Vreni,
willkommwn zu Hause :o)
Ich kann gut nachvollziehen, wie es dir ging, als du bei deiner Mum warst und was es bedeutet, alles in knapper Zeit zu organisieren. Gut, dass es hilfreiche Menschen gibt! Ich denk an dich.
LG Doris

Geckoboxes said...

Good to read your are back sewing and blogging. It is indeed one of the hardest things, having our parents on the other side of this globe and knowing we should be there more often, but the circumstances doesn't allow us. I hate it. Thank goodness there is Skype and we can make regular calls! One thing for sure, you worked your ... off and did a hell of a good job!

Heather said...

Such a hard part of living overseas as an expat. Hope all goes well with your mother.

Silvia said...

Uauhhhh Vreni!!!, Welcome home!!. How it has been this holidays??...Lovely block you have done...This red colors are lovely..

Hugs

Silvia said...

Vreni,
I feel so sorry for your mum...I did not read before ..Pour, we hope the neighbours, will take care as much as they can..
Hugs

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I hope your mum is doing okay now Vreni. It is nice to get back into the sewing room isn't it...a bit of stress relief therapy maybe!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Vreni, how heartbreaking! We are facing the same thing, only we live just 5 miles away -- I can't imagine how difficult it must be from far away. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your pies and I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Diane H said...

My parents are both 85 and still living on their own. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, dear Vreni to help you cope through this stressful time.

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

Hello Vreni,
so sorry to hear about your mum - I'm facing the same issues with my 85 year old mother in England - and we don't even have family in the country anymore - just me in CH and my brother in Canada. I'm working at trying not to worry and on the principle that I'll do things when problems arise - what else can one do? It's very hard though when you are a long way away - and you're further than me. Thinking of you! H xx

Jill - And Sew We Go said...

Glad you are back sewing and blogging but so very sorry to hear about your mother, that must be so difficult for you, even though you know people are looking after herm it's not the same not being able to pop in and check on her yourself, it mus be horrible for you.

I love the fabric in your red block it's so beautiful.

Thinking of you

Love Jill x

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sorry about your mother. My father had Alzheimers, and I live 1200 miles away. At least he had my mother, and my brother lives in the same town. It is hard not being there. Mom also had breast cancer while she was caring for daddy (he died 2 years ago, she is cancer free).

FlourishingPalms said...

You poor dear! I'm so sorry to hear about your mother and the long-distance concern that has created for you. It must be very difficult! I hope that while you're home, for the time being, you will find some therapeutic sewing time. Bless you.

Rita said...

Liebe Vreni
das tut mir wegen Deiner Mutter sehr leid...Ich hoffe, sie kann noch lange so daheim bleiben! Da ich in der Spitex arbeite, kann ich genau nachfühlen wie es Dir momentan geht....
Sie scheint im Moment wunderbar versorgt zu sein!! Oft hilft ein strukturierter Tag mit Pflege und Mahlzeiten schon Wunder!!
Wünsch Euch weiterhin alles Liebe!
Herzlich, Rita

chrisi said...

schon traurig das so zu erleben...kann mir schon vorstellen das es für dich schwierig sein wird über diese grosse Distanz....alles liebe Chris

meli B said...

Sorry to hear about your Mum. It must be very difficult living so far away. I've missed your posts so welcome back.

Lynda said...

Looking forward to seeing what the red and black pies quilt will look like.

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope she is doing o.k. and that you can get back to see her often.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Sorry to hear about your mum Vreni.

My grandmother also has dementia and only last week moved into a nursing home.

It's such a sad disease.

Sending big hugs xo

Shirley said...

My thoughts are with you Vreni as I know what you are going through. Sewing is a great stress reliever. Do what you can when you can in all aspects.

donkey and the carrot said...

Welcome back honey... you are such a sweetheart... I hope everything now will go fine with your mom... i so love your quilts! Today is my second big date with the little one! xxx

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'm glad that she has support around her.