Tutorials

Sunday 27 July 2014

A bit more progress!

Yay, I have finally made some progress on my Auntie Green's Garden. It took my forever to applique all those double leaves.


I made a couple more sewing boxes. If you are interested in making your own box, my friend Heather has written a tutorial which is now available at Craftsy. She also sells kits with everything you need to make a box similar to this one. Check it out here


This one I gave to my friend Rose-Anne when she visited me last week. As you can see she started using it immediately when we sat sewing together on our balcony like in the good old times! She also had a sewing kit with her. It was a little farewell gift I made for her when she left Shanghai six years ago and it was fun to see it again and I'm happy that she is using it.

Last weekend my husband and I were invited to a wedding in Jakarta, Indonesia. As we lived there for almost five years in the nineties, and I have only been back a couple of times since, we took the opportunity to go down memory lane. Lots has changed, but the traffic is still as bad as ever (or maybe worst) but the people are still as friendly and warm-hearted as I remembered them. We even found the house we used to live in 20 years ago. It was rather strange as it was familiar but not, if you know what I mean!

Somehow I remember it all much bigger, especially our road. But the kids still refer to this house as the one they could ride their bikes in the living room as it was really huge. Good times!

And last but not least, this child of mine is turning 30 today! How is that even possible? 


Happy Birthday my darling!

Cheers
Vreni x

15 comments:

Susan said...

Auntie green is coming along well, I love the striped background. Always fun to revisit your old address and the memories. Happy birthday to your baby.

meli B said...

Beautiful applique work. You have more patience than me!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Your Auntie Green is looking great! What an interesting life you are living....I have lived in the same area my whole life.

Cattinka said...

Der Block ist super, da hat sich der viele Aufwand auf alle Fälle gelohnt, und Deine Boxen gefallen mir sehr gut, sogar mit eingearbeiteter Schneidmatte, super!
LG
KATRIN W.

Janet said...

I'll keep cheering you on with Aunty Green and you can do the same for me, lol. It's looking luscious. How fun to go back and see your old place, it makes the memories flood back. Happy birthday to your lovely daughter, she looks younger than 30.

Dolores said...

Walking down memory lane is strange at times. Happy birthday to your daughter. Today is also my youngest son's 32nd birthday.

Julierose said...

Love those leafy pairs--it looks wonderful. So pretty/1 Hugs, Julierose

HeathersSewingRoom said...

Happy Birthday to a beautiful daughter. Love the fabric that you used in the sewing box. You have had a busy week.

Geckoboxes said...

That has been an emotional time, with good friends from the past, your old house full with sweet memories and your 'baby' on Skype for her 30th BD! It is good to sit down and shatt with your beautiful Aunty Green and tell her all your feelings and thoughts!
Love from me XXX

Lynda said...

Your quilt is going to be stunning! Looking forward to seeing more. My baby turned 30 this year also. Where does the time go? Thanks for the tutorial on the box. I love seeing all the boxes you have made. What a fun gift to give and receive.

Chookyblue...... said...

your quilt looks lovely............

Thimbleanna said...

Your quilt is looking beautiful Vreni! Do you know what the background fabric is? I Love it!

And Happy Belated birthday to your baby -- she's adorable. I have one turning 30 in a few weeks too -- say it ain't so!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a lot of lovely work on your quilt. Sew pretty!

Barb said...

beautiful applique!

antique quilter said...

omg I love your auntie green quilt
its on my to do list someday, I just LOVE that quilt.
can't believe your DD is 30 looks younger.
love the mug one of my DD's it fits to the T!
Kathie