Tutorials

Wednesday 2 July 2014

Melbourne Craft and Quilt Fair

I've just returned from a few days in Melbourne where I visited the Craft and Quilt Fair. I've been to the Sydney show a few times, but this was my first time at the Melbourne show.

My photos are really not great, so I'll only show you a few. This is the winning quilt, made with over 22'000 1/4 inch hexagons. Can you imagine?



I enjoyed seeing Steve's Garden; a quilt which is also on my to do list


If you want to see more and much better pictures of the show, hop over to my friend Heather's blog.


And guess who I run into at the show doing an applique demonstration? Only Irene Blank, who made the pattern for the Auntie Green's Garden based on an antique quilt. We had a lovely chat .

Of course no visit to a quilt show would be complete without buying a few things or lots!
This little bundle will be added to my Auntie Green's Garden stash; I'm in love with these greens. 


And more fabric for my stash, including some linen.


I was smitten with Marg Low's stand,  especially all her Christmas stuff. What do you do when you can't choose as everything is so lovely? Get it all of course (or almost)!


A collection of wool felt and a sewing bag I intend to cover with felt and embellish it. Stay tuned!



Various bibs and bobs


This little gadget is intended for long arm quilters, but I've seen people use it on their domestic machines, so I'm keen to try it out.


This big light pad will come handy with tracing my Auntie Green's Garden pattern.


And two more pattern; heaven only knows when I ever get to use them, but that's beside the point, isn't it?


And that's it. I tend to go overboard sometimes, but I guess that stems from the times we lived in third world countries where not everything was readily available. So one took advantage when one could and I still do! That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it. 

And here's one last picture of my Peak Hour, this time including the baby ;)!


Now it's definitely time to get back to my stitching.
Cheers
Vreni x

18 comments:

Cattinka said...

Der Ausflug hat sich für Dich auf alle Fälle gelohnt. Du hast so schöne Sachen mit nach Hause gebraucht, und Dein Autoquilt sieht in Benutzung auch super aus!
LG
KATRIN W.

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Oh wow, that is some loot, Vreni! It never hurts to have a lot, right? I totally know what you mean as my grandparents were stashing everything too, when I was a kid. Did you need an extra suitcase on the way back? :)

HeathersSewingRoom said...

So that is what was in all those bags! You certainly came away with some nice projects.

Susan said...

That quilt is incredible. I love hexies but I think that one is beyond my abilities. Wonderful to see it in person. Your ability to shop is inspiring! Such lovely choices. I hope your little baby gives you time to sew.

Chookyblue...... said...

Linda's hexie quilt is amazing......glad you had a great time at the show........

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

What a shame I missed you there!! Glad you had a great trip, lovely loot you bought home too! xo

Julimond said...

Unglaublich..,1/4 inch, das ist ja noch nicht mal Centgröße.Wahnsinn und wunderschön.
Deine Ausbeute aus Australien, phänomenal. Da hast du Arbeit genut die nächste Zeit.
Der Mini auf seinem tollen Quilt, total herzig. Ich warte auf ein Signal meiner Nichte, daß ich bald mal Grosstante werde, ich würde sooo gerne was für Winzlinge nähen und stricken.

Ich schicke dir liebe Grüße in die Ferne.

Iris

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I didn't know you were in oz...not that you were close enough for a visit ;) I love all your new additions to your stash. I would love to start another Jen Kingwell quilt but really should finish the one I am working on shouldn't I?

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) said...

Lots of lovely goodies! That hexagon quilt is insane!!!

Geckoboxes said...

Lucky you! Visiting Melbourne and have all these wonderful quilters gadgets to bring back home with you! I bet you had a ball. And I love your greens too! ;))

Marg said...

Exciting haul from Melbourne. Sounds like you had a great time. I bought the Message In A Bottle pattern recently, and I'm hoping to start it later in the year. Very cute baby on a very cute quilt!

Lynda said...

Wow! That's a lot of Hexies! Love the baby enjoying the cars quilt too. Looks like you had great fun at the quilt fair. Always fun to come home with new projects.

meli B said...

I wish I knew you were in town. We could have finally met!

Sujata Shah said...

You got some nice goodies there! I have those clover bias tape maker. I loved making my stems with them. Those greens are quite nice. My favorite picture is the last one with the baby!
That quilt... I am speechless!

Shirley said...

Vreni you little shopaholic. I can see that quite a bit of your haul would have come home with me too. What a lovely treat to meet Irene Blanck.

Thimbleanna said...

How fun to see your Peak Hour with the baby attached LOL! It looks so cute!

And it looks like you had a great time at the quilt show. I would LOVE to see that hexie quilt -- that's amazing. And, perfect for you to have a little chat with Irene Blank!

Anonymous said...

That car quilt is soooo cute! I must make one. Where can I find the pattern??
Paula H. paulahen1956@yahoo.com

antique quilter said...

I LOVE the picture of the baby on the Peak HOur quilt
that quilt is adorable do you know who the pattern was made by? I need to make that one just for fun!
did you hand appliqué it?
its really adorable.
Kathie