Tutorials

Sunday 1 March 2015

Big changes are afoot!

After living aboard for almost 30 years we have decided that the time has come to move back to Switzerland. I can't say that it was an easy decision, but with both our mothers old and my mum very frail, we feel it's where we should be. I'm vacillating between being exited and having panic attacks.   It certainly will be a challenge as I have lived more of less half of my life away from Switzerland, first in Australia and then in various Asian countries. I was a young woman of 30 with a baby in tow when we left "home" and this year I'm going to be..... well, I'll let you do the math. I'm not quite ready yet to write that number ;)! I feel like I have to reinvent myself as being an "expat" has somewhat become my identity and belonging nowhere and anywhere has given me a strange sense of freedom.

But we can't leave Asia "cold turkey".  We are trying to buy a little holiday house in Bali (or villa as they grandly call it) but like everything else in Indonesia there are a few hoops which need to be jumped through first.  But I'm sure we'll succeed  in the and and no doubt it will provide a welcome escape during the long and often dreary winters in Switzerland and I hope it will be a place where we can welcome family and friends.

Of course I'm going to miss my friends, especially my quilting buddies and we will certainly miss living the "easy" life in Singapore. And I've been trying to soak up this wonderful view we've been enjoying for the last five years.



I've been preparing some appliqué work as I won't have my sewing machine for a while.

The second corner on my Auntie Green


and a couple more blocks for My Aunt's Quilt 



 And this is the finished second block. 





































All the corner and side blocks are prepared too and I'm taking a stash of fabric with me in my suit case to carry on when I have time. 


Tomorrow bright and early the moving company will be here to start packing up our belongings. I still have to prepare my suitcase for the next six weeks or so as that's how long it will take for the container to reach Switzerland. In the meantime we will be staying in my mum's house, which we will start to clear and prepare for sale. As you can imagine, it will be a busy time.

Vreni xx

20 comments:

Susan said...

I can't begin to imagine the emotions you must be feeling. I hope the move goes smoothly and that you settle into your new chapter quickly. I'm sure that beautiful applique will help you through it. Gorgeous background fabric for your Aunts quilt.

Rita said...

Liebe Vreni
Gerade lese ich Deine Zeilen und kann wohl nur erahnen, was Du im Moment durch machst. So eine grosse Veränderung ist ganz sicher nicht leicht zu bewältigen. Ich schicke Dir daher ganz viel Kraft und Zuversicht!! Und sei Dir sicher, ich freue mich ungemein, dass Du in die Nähe kommst!!
Schau gut zu Dir, reise gut und komm gut an!!
Ganz herzlich, Rita

Cattinka said...

Das war bestimmt keine leichte Entscheidung. Ich wünsch Dir Alles Gute und einen guten Start in der neuen, alten Heimat.
LG
KATRIN W.

LintLady said...

Hallo Vreni,
ich wünsch dir viel Kraft für diese Veränderung. Ich kann mir gar nicht vorstellen, wie du dich fühlst, denk ich.
Aber wie Rita schon sagt, dann bist du näher bei uns :o)
LG Doris

Sue said...

Please let us know where in Switzerland you are heading. Love to meet up next time I am back. I can't even imagine after 30 years moving back home (wherever that is) xx

Martina said...

Oh wow, vreni, das sind grosse Veränderungen! Und bestimmt wird es eine gute Weile mal schön mal schwierig sein! Ich wünsch Dir viel Freude und Kraft für all das was auf dich zukommt. Wie gut dass man an jedem Ort nähen kann, so ist wenigstens etwas, das sich nicht gross verändert, auh wenn du deine Mitnäherinnen bestimmt vermissen wirst...
GlG Martina

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Think of it as a new adventure. Make it positive. Texas is my home state, but, we haven't lived there in 20 years. I'd move back in a heart beat, if I could, but, hubby has to make the next move. I would sorely miss all my quilting buddies here, like you will miss yours. Think of the new quilting buddies you will be making.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Oh Vreni! I feel sad, which is silly really because I've never met you in person, and it will still be the same you on the end of an email whether you are in Singapore or Switzerland. It just feels like you are moving away, which is true in a sense.

It must have been a big decision for you to make, but I can see that you are doing the best thing for your parents. I do hope that you can buy the holiday home in Bali. It would be an amazing escape from Switzerland in winter.

I wish you well with your travels and your move. I guess it will be at least 2 months until you're really settled again. I will be thinking of you during that time.

PS the applique looks lovely!

Chookyblue...... said...

oh that is huge......to many decisions to be made.......goodluck in the move and I look forward to seeing you settle in there..........

Lynda said...

Oh my! What a beautiful place to leave. And what a job moving out and leaving friends. Switzerland is also very beautiful in a much different way. I wish you the best in this emotional time. Please keep us in the know with all that will be changing in your life. Good luck!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Liebe Vreni,
alles Gute für den Umzug, verbunden mit den besten Wünschen für euren Neuanfang in der Schweiz.
Tolles Appliqueprojekt und so sauber gearbeitet. Wunderschön anzusehen.
Liebe Grüßle,
Sylvia

Geckoboxes said...

Wow Vreni! What a life changing decision! I know what you are saying as I have taken a simmilar stap. Good luck with these hectic days and the first few weeks in your new old country! Keep calm and appliqué on! ;)

Lixie said...

We've just moved from Tokyo to London for two months then to San Francisco where we arrived two weeks ago. Our container from Japan should reach SF in two weeks. Well done for preparing your sewing. I really struggled without sewing supplies during that time. Good luck!

HeathersSewingRoom said...

We have had so many great times and the internet is an amazing tool. Life is always moving and so must you :( Your appliqué is looking amazing and so beautifully executed. Enjoy your time in your new home.

Anonymous said...

Liebe Vreni,
ich lese gerade Deine Zeilen - Umzug - oh je! Da wünsche ich Dir und Deiner Familie ganz viel Kraft, Ausdauer und natürlich viel Glück in der neuen Heimat. Schön, dass Du Dir schon für die Zeit ohne Nähmaschine ein Handnähprojekt, die Applikationen, ausgesucht hast. Das ist ein ganz tolles Projekt.
Viele Grüße
Leonore

Thimbleanna said...

Oh WOW Vreni! I have so much to say -- I'll do it in list form LOL.
1- Good Girl. Prep for the Aunts' Quilt so you won't miss a beat. I LOVE your Aunts' Quilt. It's SO fun to see your blocks. Mine are so scrappy, but my neat and tidy side LOVES that your blocks are more planned out with similar flowers out of the same fabrics. And that fourth block where they're all so balanced -- BEAUTIFUL!!!!
2- I can't, in my wildest dreams, imagine anything about Switzerland being dreary -- including the winters!
3- Auntie Green is looking fantastic -- you'll be done before you know it.
4- Finally. I'm sure you're filled with emotion, but what an exciting time. (Oh, and I heard on the BBC the other day that Singapore is the most expensive city in the world. I thought of you and Kate.) I can't wait to hear your news from Switzerland -- I LOVE LOVE LOVE it there! Good Luck with the move!

Barbara said...

Hallo Vreni, gerade lese ich von deinem grossen Umzug "zurück zu deinen Wurzeln, sozusagen. In der Zwischenzeit bist du sicherlich angekommen. Ich hoffe für dich und deine Familie, dass alles gut gegangen ist und du dich auch hier bald wieder "daheim" fühlst. Aber ich kann mir auch sehr gut vorstellen, dass das Abschiednehmen von so viel Vertrautem. Liebgewonnenem und Schönem nicht einfach war. Wie wahr doch die Aussage "partir c'est toujours mourir un peu". Viel Kraft für die diversen Aufgaben die du vor dir hast mit den Eltern. Es ist für sie sicher ein beruhigendes Gefühl, dich und deine Familie in der Nähe zu wissen.
Mach's guet und liebi Grüess,
Barbara

Lucy Casey said...

I absolutely love your appliqué! You are inspiring me to do a much better job on mine;)

I too can relate to big moves. I've lived in four different continents and change like this is hard!

Helen in Switzerland said...

Welcome back Vreni....it's really not such a bad place to be!! Best wishes Helenx

Shirley said...

I am way behind on your news Vreni. I hope by now that you are back on your home soil and all has gone smoothly. It is a big change but it sounds like you have it planned. Sew through it. Thank goodness for this wonderful technology that enables us all to keep in touch.