Tutorials

Saturday 9 July 2016

Quilt Swap

I haven't taken part in a quilt swap for a while but when round 10 of "Another little Quilt Swap" was announced I thought it would be a good idea, not least as it would get me sewing! This swap works a bit differently as no partners are assigned at the beginning and one can join right up until the dead line when photos of the quilts have to be admitted to the administrator of the swap.

I've seen a tutorial on Julia Graber 's bog how to make a grid art quilt and as I wanted to try her method I thought it was the perfect opportunity.



I've called this little quilt "A Blackbird's Delight". It measures 11.5 inches square, is raw edge appliquéd and I've used batiks and variegated thread for quilting. 


I will definitely try this again as there's room for improvement, especially with the spacing of the grid. But all in all, I think it turned out quite nice. Hopefully someone will like it enough to put it on their wish list.

I hope you are also enjoying a relaxed weekend.

Vreni xx

13 comments:

liniecat said...

Its delightful and I like the colours a great deal!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the quilt. It reminds me of my Birds on a Wire quilts, only more colorful!

Geckoboxes said...

This little quilt is a gem! This year I am not participating, maybe next round! Shame I cannot choose yours this time!

MAKingsley said...

Love the colors and squares on point! So summery.

Calicojoan said...

What a stunning art quilt. I love this technique idea and am going to have to play with it myself!
Thanks for the inspiration.

Radka said...

It's beautiful, Vreni! :-)
xx

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) said...

It's a gorgeous design, and the beautifully made!

Cattinka said...

Ich würde das sofort auf meine Wunschliste setzen. Das sieht sehr schön aus!
LG
KATRIN W.

Katharina said...

Wunderschön und interessant ist dein Quilt - diese Technik werde ich bestimmt auch ausprobieren. Diese Kombination von klaren Linien mit dem tollen Stoff und der Applikation - spannend!
LG Katharina

Radka said...

Hi Vreni,
I know you sent me a message, I saw it earlier just briefly, and then my computer crashed! When it came back your email was unreadable :-(
But I think you were asking about the ruler for machine quilting.
To my shame, I must admit I have not used it yet (!!!), sorry....
I have been rather preoccupied with hand sewing - applique and hand quilting my flying geese quilt, so my machine has been put away.
You might get there before me :-)
xx

Thimbleanna said...

Very Pretty Vreni! I love the colors you chose and the bird -- especially the pretty little bird!

FlourishingPalms said...

Just the right-size project to get back into a little bit of sewing. And I bet you used only stash fabrics too, that made it even better. You did a lovely job with it. Now you'll have to post about the little quilt you receive in return. Sounds like a fun way to do a swap, without having to wonder if you've made something suitable for one particular person.

Sarah said...

Your quilt is stunning and your quilting is perfect! I wonder who received it? It was on my list but sadly I didn't win it. Mind you I did receive a beauty!