Tutorials

Monday 5 June 2017

My first (and possibly also my last) rosette

I've been admiring all the different versions of the La Passacaglia quilts which have been popping up all over the Internet for the last couple of year or so. I have not really been tempted until I saw the quilt which Willyne Hammerstein calls "Ballet with Kaffe" in her second Millefiori book. I started to collect fabrics and ordered the papers and templates. I had the first shock when they arrived, as somehow I wasn't aware how tiny the different pieces are. And then I started to sew and had another shock as it took forever to make just one rosette. I think it took me about 25 hours to prepare and sew all the pieces together. Not really for the fainthearted and definitely not for someone who is impatient like me! I think I'll keep going, at least for a while. Maybe I wont ever make the entire quilt, but I can always use it in some other ways. 


And just when we are enjoying the first real summer days, I'm sewing away on some winter blocks, Scandinavian Christmas by Lynette Andersen to be precise. I've had this pattern for a few years now and every Christmas when I would be in the mood to stitch something Christmassy I usually don't have the time. So I decided to just get it started. I'm enjoying appliquéing  the whimsical characters and stitching the embroidery. 




I also pieced some blocks as I recently read about a lady in Guernsey (UK) who collects blocks which she then puts together into quilts for children's homes in Africa. She wants each block quilted individually as she then sews them together with the quilt as you go method. If you are interested you can read more on her blog here. A brilliant way to use up any fabric scraps or even make a dent into your stash. 


Although I'm a few day late, I'm going to link up with pomegranate and chintz for 17 UFOs in 2017.
Vreni x

12 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

oh it is a lot of time but it looks great.........I've only seen pictures no real quilts or even the books......

Rina Mason said...

I love your rosette and hope you keep posting others as you complete them. I know there is no way I could do it because I get quilter's ADD and get impatient also.

The snowman is just about the cutest thing I've seen. Now I want to look up Lynette's patterns and get started on a Christmas wall hanging or maybe even a lap quilt.

I'm going to look into the lady who wants the blocks as I have so many scraps this would be perfect. The quilts turn out so cute. Thanks for the link.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Wow! What a rosette! I'm working on some hexie flowers, but, mine are HUGE in comparison. You've done lots of sewing! I really like the elephant block in the bottom picture.

barcord said...

Your rosette is brilliant. Such fine work. You deserve a medal, or a rosette. I love the Lynette Anderson Christmas stitchery. I hope togo to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham this year, and I believe Lynette will be there. So looking forward to that. I will be like a child in a sweetie shop. xx

Lynda's Quilts said...

Your Rosette is amazing! I don't think I could stick with it to the finish tho. The Christmas stitchery is so cute. And what a wonderful idea on the blocks for Africa.

Shirley said...

The rosette looks amazing Vreni. I know the hours that go into the making. It is fabulous as it is even if you go no further. I think now is the time to do that Christmas stitching. The run up to Christmas gets too busy.xx

Julie said...

That rosette is a great start to your quilt. I gave up on that idea myself, and opted for the ice cream soda EPP blocks, still a shock to see how small those centre diamonds are. Slow stitching projects are good though, and great for travelling.

Martina said...

Hi Vreni
wow, das sieht wirklich nach viel Arbeit aus, aber die Rosette sieht auch toll aus! Bin gespannt wie es da bei dir weiter geht. Ich hab das Buch auch und irgendwann möchte ich damit beginnen...irgendwann, lach!
Der Weihnachtsblock sieht super aus. Einfach schön und man kann nie zu früh anfangen mit Weihnachtsnähen...
GlG Martina

patchingmimi said...

Ich musste herzhaft lachen bei Deiner Beschreibung über die Rosette. Mir ging es sehr ähnlich! Ich werde aber gaaaaanz sicher nur die eine fertig nähen:-)
Deine Rosette sieht toll aus und ich wünsche Dir viel Geduld für die anderen. Auch Dein Lynette Anderson Quilt wird mega toll!
GlG mimi

Radka said...

I like your rosette, lovely fabrics. I haven't been tempted, it does look like a lot of work!!!
My Scandinavian Christmas comes out every Christmas, it is such a lovely quilt to make. I wish now I had taken more time with it at the time, but I like it anyway :-) You are wise to start now; I usually leave it too late to make anything for Christmas, so I just keep bringing the old stuff.
xx

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Well done Vreni!! It looks lovely. You've motivated me to start my Ballet avec Kaffe Fassett. I've had the book, papers and templates for a year, but just decided to start yesterday and seeing yours, and finding out that Willyne's third book gets released in September. I'm worried there will be more enticing things and there and I'll never make Ballet if I don't start now.

FlourishingPalms said...

Well you have certainly been keeping busy! That English paper-piecing rosette though... oh my! It looks quite daunting! I don't believe I'd enjoy spending so many hours on one piece. Did you? Will you keep going? Love the way you're using scraps to make blocks for others. With all these things, you'll have a full summer ahead!