Tutorials

Monday 17 October 2011

Just in the nick of time

We're going to China tomorrow; first to Shanghai and then on to Beijing to see our daughter (and her young man). Initially I was going to bring her this quilt, it only needed the binding put on.
But after seeing the orange sofa in their new apartment in a photo she sent me, I had to rethink, and fast! I decided to give her the quilt which was intended for my MIL for Christmas instead. I can sort out what to give MIL later on. That left me with exactly two days for sandwiching, quilting and binding the quilt.





With time being scarce I stitched the binding by machine to the back. I usually do that by hand as I hadn't had much success on earlier attempts. But using the blindstitch foot really helped and I only needed to stop and go back because the stitching didn't catch the binding on the back a couple of times. I will need a bit more practice, but I will definitely do this again.



All ready to go. Can't wait!


Talk to you when I get back.
Cheers
Vreni

13 comments:

Martina said...

Hi Vreni
da wird sich deine Tochter bestimmt darüber freuen. Wie gut dass Mütter so multitasking und flexibel sind, gäll?!Wünsch dir eine gute Reise und viel Spass
Herzlich martina

Geckoboxes said...

Wow, that was indeed a quick solution, and a nice one. Enjoy your time in Shanghai and Beijing! Down memory lane and wonderful family time!

Vickie said...

What a GREAT idea to use the blind stitch foot!!!! Way to go on the quick finish! Both quilts are really lovely. Have a wonderful trip!! Hugs!!!

Jodi said...

You must be over the moon with anticipation and excitement to see your daughter! And lucky her to get such a wonderful quilt from mom. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time!

blauraute said...

Liebe Vreni,
das ist aber auch ein wirklich schönes Mitbringsel, solch ein wunderschöner Quilt. Genieß die Zeit mit Deiner Tochter und ihrem Mann. Komm gesund und munter zurück.
Liebe Grüße
Roswitha

Valentina said...

Dear Vreni, Have a super time in China! How exciting!
And 'wow' on both quilts! Your daughter will love her quilt: it was meant to be. Please, can you share a picture on her orange sofa, it will look so delicious! :)
sending you a big hug, and enjoy your trip!
Valentina

Linda said...

The quilt is beautiful!!! You did a great job on the binding. I could never get it on by machine like you did!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Vreni, I'm so impressed that you had a backup quilt. It's beautiful -- have a great time!

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) said...

Fabulous quilt! Thanks for your kind comment. How exciting to be living in Singapore! I really want to make a trip there sometime. My great grand parents (originally from Scotland) lived in Singapore and were ship builders.I've been to Hangzhou, China once, I loved every minute of it! Have a good trip.

Janet said...

Whew, you did it, that was a rush. I hope you're having a wonderful time, I'm sure you'll be travelling by now.

lm said...

velmi hezké,pečlivá práce,hezký večer lm.

Helen in Switzerland said...

Have a great trip Vreni! I'm sure your daughter will LOVE her quilt! (It's beautiful!!)

Wendy said...

GORGEOUS quilt! Love the rainbow effect. Oh, that was three comments over three posts, I'd better follow!