Tutorials

Monday 11 May 2020

Slowly getting back to normal

After eight weeks of lockdown we're starting a new phase today as shops, restaurants, gyms, primary and middle schools are reopening here in Switzerland. High schools and universities will stay closed for another month and of course social distancing will still be in place for the unforeseeable future. To be honest, these past weeks have been quite nice as we had both kids home for some time. My daughter, who works as a teacher abroad was able to come back here as her school switched to online learning and my son managed to break his shoulder just before the shutdown while snowboarding so he came home for a while too. I spoiled them with their favourite meals and we really enjoyed our time together, everybody safe and sound at home. We really stuck to the rules and we never went anywhere except for grocery shopping once a week and walks in the surrounding woods and field.  It definitely wasn't hardship, quite the opposite in fact and I'm even a little hesitant to leave this cosy cocoon we've created for ourselves. I've been cooking and baking and -  like everybody else it seems - made my own bread. But I've also spent a lot of time in my sewing room.  For a while I couldn't stop making little bags and pouches. Here's a selection:


I found an already pieced and quilted square in my scrap bin and made this little bag with it.


My daughter wanted a little bag to use as a wallet to go into her small evening bag


and this one is made with hand pieced hexagons. The pattern is called "Dear little Dillies" and can be found here


I finally "tamed" my huge scrap basket and cut all the scraps up into usable strips and squares as well as other shapes. After seeing Sameliasmum's "Twirling at the Disco" quilt I decided to use my 2 1/2 inch squares for that. The finished top measures 64 inches square. Now it "only" needs to be quilted!!




I also made all the blocks for another Swiss quilt for a friend who has recently become a Swiss citizen




now this too has to be quilted, once the blocks have been sewn together!

My Scandinavian Christmas quilt is finally together too. I quilted it by machine just around the blocks and I'm in the process of adding a bit of hand quilting too. 



I haven't joined any BOM programs for a while and since I'm a big fan of Irene Black (Focus on Quilts) I'v decided to take part in her newest BOM. It only started this month, so it's not too late if you want to join in the fun too. 





Like everybody else, I too was in the face making business and
I tried a few different patterns. DD needed some to take back as wearing them is compulsory where she lives when entering a shop or using public transport




Sometimes it's not a bad thing to be a hoarder as I still had a whole box of N95 masks from the SARS outbreak in Singapore.  They are probably expired by now as we had them since 2003 but I guess they are better than nothing. They are not very comfortable to wear though and I pity all those healthcare worker who have to wear them day in day out for weeks and months on end. 


My cartonnage classes are on hold of course but I finished a couple of boxes before the shut down.



I hope that you are keeping happy and more importantly healthy and that you are able to keep busy.  My mantra at the moment is; this too shall pass!
Vreni x

8 comments:

conny's quilts en creaties said...

You did well in your "cocoon" . Love to see what you made en read what you've done. Best wishes, Conny

Rosemary B❤️ said...

I love all of your progress. I agree, it has been wonderful to cocoon, but only for those of us that love quiet time, even with family.
I adore all of the bags you made. Sweet all of them Now I want to make a little Dillie bag.
I wish you and your family all of the best as you move forward. I am in US, northern Virginia (far west of the northern top) and so very grateful that everyone here is being intelligent about this ordeal.
I LOVE THE SWISS THIMBLEBLOSSOMS QUILT. Your friend is lucky to have a treasure made by you

Radka said...

Wow, wow, busy lady! Nice new quilt tops, and well done on Scandinavian Christmas; seeing how lovely yours looks, I wish I had used lighter background fabrics for my one. Oh well, live and learn.......
I can't say I have not enjoyed the time at home, I just miss being with the rest of our family. We still can't meet, and to be honest, the messages we are now getting here are rather confusing - we can see one (only) other person outside our household somewhere outside, keeping our distance, so how does that work if you have 2 grandchildren? One in the morning, one in the afternoon? People are encouraged to go back to work, but preferably not using public transport (well, that really works well in the large cities!)
Parts of the country, Scotland and Wales are keeping the old rules, so not easy for people living there but working in England. Playing golf is now OK, but there is a golf course which is half in England and half in Wales, so
how is that going to work, LOL. The garden centres are opening up tomorrow, I can see the crowds now! I think I just stay at home and carry on :-)
xx

Lynda said...

I too have been fine with the cocooning for the most part. My youngest daughter had her 4th baby during it so I was enlisted to watch the other 3 cuties while they were in the hospital. The time was extended since little Sofia swallowed meconium during birth. She was in NICU for 10 days with breathing problems and she had developed a staff infection. So I got to spend a lot of time with Ellie, Gavin and Wyatt until they could bring Sofia home. Then I was "encouraged" not to visit. My daughter's doctor had really scared her about her "aging parents"! Hard to take that we are "aging". Anyway, we did alot of face time to watch her grow but have now been able to visit in person.

I haven't found it hard not shopping. I seldom shop anyway. We only ran low on fresh fruits and vegetables and of course milk. I have cleaned out some closets, my sewing room, worked on a couple of quilt tops that had been on the back burner, and enjoyed a lot of face time with family and friends. It is so nice to have all the technology to make those things possible.

Since we aren't allowed to go to Church, we have had Church at home. With Zoom we can include our children who live in different cities and states and enjoy that time too.

I love all the things you have been able to accomplish during this time. The quilt is amazing. I love scrap quilts.....they feel almost free. I have made several bags too and passed them out to friends and family. I especially loved making the snap bag that a metal measuring tape is used to snap the opening shut. Fun to try the new patterns.

Also been part of making masks. I only had a small amount of elastic and so I learned how to make elastic out of nylons and t-shirts and hair ties.

Your Scandinavian quilt is beautiful and your next BOM looks like fun. Sure good to hear about all the things you have been working on. Keep safe.

LintLady said...

Hallo Vreni,
wie ich sehe warst du auch fleißig.
Der BOM würde mich auch reizen, wenn ich nicht so viele andere unfertige Sachen hätte *lol*
Viel Spaß wünsche ich und bleib gesund.
LG Doris :o)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Your bags are sew cute! You've gotten lots of great stitching done. I've missed seeing what you create.

FlourishingPalms said...

It's so good to actually SEE all the great things you've been making during quarantine. I love your "Twirling at the Disco" quilt top - the scrappiness and the size. I can imagine it spiral-quilted, but however you quilt it will be lovely. Isn't it nice to get one's scraps under control? Somewhat, anyway? What a good mother you are to make so many masks. I think it's wonderful that you shared quarantine with your children. It's been quite the opposite for us... more isolating than usual even, as we've had to cancel two trips to visit our children and grandchildren. The boxes you make are very professional-looking! You've become quite a master of them, and only wish you and I lived closer to one another so I could learn from you. Like you, I haven't minded our lock-down, and only regret that my regular exercise classes aren't happening, so I am working out on a self-imposed disciplined schedule... and still gaining a few pounds being too close to the kitchen! As yeast was unavailable for a while, and then flour wasn't on store shelves either, there's been no bread-baking here. Golly, we still can't even get toilet paper in Central Florida! That makes absolutely NO sense, as the overwhelming majority of people who live here don't have children in the house. All I can do is shake my head, and try not to be surprised by people's craziness.

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh how wonderful to have your kids home.... Special times together....
Lovely quilt....